Write on! Welcome to the Innisfil ideaLAB & Library’s Short Story Contest
Have you ever dreamed of becoming an author or publishing a book? If you’re in Grades 3-12 and live, work, or go to school in Innisfil, you’re invited to enter the Innisfil ideaLAB & Library’s annual Short Story Contest. Not sure where to start? Find story writing tips and tricks from the 2020 Contest Judge, Naseem Hrab here!
The contest is now closed, but will reopen on June 1, 2021.
I entered the 2020 contest! How do I know if I’ve won?
Five finalists from each category will be notified in December. Due to the large number of entries we receive, only winners will be notified. Whether or not your story wins a prize this year, you are still a winner for having the courage to put your story out into the world. Keep being brave, keep believing in yourself, and keep writing! We look forward to reading more of your work!
How long should my story be?
- Junior Division (grades 3-6): minimum 1 page (250 words), maximum 4 pages (1000 words).
- Intermediate Division (grades 7-8): minimum 2 pages (500 words), maximum 8 pages (2000 words).
- Senior Division (grades 9-12): minimum 3 pages (750 words), maximum 12 pages (3000 words).
Are there specific rules?
Yes. All entries must be:
- Original fiction
- Typed in 12-point font.
- Include a title.
- Not include the author’s name (this information is collected through the entry form).
- Submitted electronically using our web form (which will become available when the contest opens on June 1, 2020).
Past Winning Stories
Looking for inspiration? Check out our past winners! You’ll be amazed at the talent and creativity you’ll find here.