Media Lab Projects
Want to try something new, and feeling confident enough to try it out yourself? Learned a new skill but need a refresher? Find links to step-by-step guides for some of the projects you can complete in the Media Lab below.
Convert your home videos, record collection, and photo albums to .mp4, .mp3, and .jpeg files. Keep them on your computer or to an external drive, or burn them to discs! Either way, they will be protected from deterioration and take up much less space than their physical counterparts.
- VHS Video Tapes
- Vinyl Records: Full Album
- Vinyl Records: Song-By-Song
- Photo Scanning
- Slide Scanning
- 35mm and 120 Film Scanning
- Scanning Photo Negatives
*CD/DVD burner available
Put yourself in any time or place with chroma key technology! Create a unique holiday or birth announcement card. Create profile headshot or video advertisement for your small business.
- Green Screen Photography with PhotoKey is one of the quickest and simplest ways to green screen and great for the first time user.
- Green Screen video with iMovie compatible with iPads, iPods, and iPhones. Make your own mini film and effects using different features in the iMovie program. A free program for all ages to use.
- Green Screen video using Final Cut offers more features when using the green screen. This program is more advanced than iMovie.
- Keying in Photoshop you will need a little more experience.
- Keying in After Effects can be used for photos or video. Requires more time and effort but also gives the best results.
Audio Recording and Sound Production
Are you an emerging musician or vocal singer? Want to create your own podcast? Would you like to learn how to recorder your work and upload it to YouTube and iTunes? This workstation is in its own room within the Media Lab for semi-soundproof recording. It is equipped with a sound recording mic, mixer, headphones and instruments.
- Sound recording with GarageBand. GarageBand is a digital audio and music program that can record and playback multiple tracks of audio. You can enhance your audio tracks with a variety of effects and filters. With a library of sounds and beats you can create your own music without touching an instrument. A great program for the first time user! Also compatible with iPads, iPods and iPhones.
- Sound Recording with Logic Pro X. Very similar look to Garageband with many more features. Logic Pro give you the options to go more into depth with your audio recording and mixing options. You will be able to edit sound and create audio loops. A little more advanced for the first time user.
- Studio One includes fundamental features which are common across most digital audio workstation programs, such as the functionality found in multi-track recorders and audio mixing consoles, plus additional functions not possible with analog recording (such as undoing previous actions, editing without loss of information, use of virtual instruments, etc.)
All programs are able to export your project to MP3 files. Where you can then upload them to website like YouTube, Spotify and iTunes. Gain the skills to become your own producer here at the Library!
Customize your personal computer or mobile device and become more comfortable with some digital media applications at the same time.
- Create a ringtone from a song
- Record your own ringtone
- Record a loved one telling a story to their grandchild
- Custom background: Edit a photo or drawing
- Restore your old photos and slides using photoshop and our Epson scanner
- Learn how to take a black and white photo and add colour to your image using Photoshop
- Create an animation character using illustrator
The original social network
Get your name out there with your own business cards!
- Create business cards in InDesign
- Create your logo using illustrator
- Create your own portfolio using PhotoShop and InDesign
- Make a video commercial to help market yourself on social media using iMovie and the Green Screen
Tips and troubleshooting
- Green Screen Tips
- VHS to DVD conversion tips
- Photoshop tips
- Vinyl conversion troubleshooting
- Scanning tips
Through the Library, you also have access to LearningExpress where you can learn more about Photoshop and Illustrator among other software applications through their online courses. You will need a valid Library card to create a LearningExpress account.
Media Lab Equipment
Spielberg: Video Production & Conversion
Video production software can be found at the computer we call Spielberg. Equipment for converting VHS tape to MP4 and DVD, and vinyl records to MP3 and CD, can all be found here too. Use your Library card to check out the Spielberg station, and call ahead to reserve a 2-hour time slot if you’d like.
VCR with USB Capture Device
CD/DVD burner drive
Final Cut Pro: Final Cut Pro is a videos editing program that offers more features then iMovie.
iMovie: Film editing program
Elgato: Video capturing program
Toast: CD/DVD burning program
Picasso: Photos and Graphics
Photograph conversions and editing can be found on the computer we called Picasso. Here you will find equipment and software for converting and scanning photographs and slides or to use the green screen. Use your Library card to check out the Picasso station, and call ahead to reserve a 2-hour time slot if you’d like.
All Adobe Suite Programs
Aretha: Audio Recording and Sound Production
This workstation is in its own room within the Media Lab for semi-soundproof recording. Here you can create your own sound bite, song or music recording. Learn how to mix beats and layer your track with cool effects. Don’t have a guitar or keyboard or drums? Was have you covered for instruments. Use your Library card to check out the Aretha station, and call ahead to reserve a 2-hour time slot if you’d like.